.

.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Girls Camp - July 28 - Aug. 1



I went to girls camp this summer. Our stake camps by levels instead of by wards. I was the camp director over 25 1st year campers and I also had some stake responsibilities as well. It was so much work! I didn't really have an assistant or other helpers before camp, so I was exhausted. I didn't want to cook for a long time after camp. The girls did have a great experience. I did enjoy parts of camp, but there were part that just exhausted me. It was kind of a struggle for me this year. I have always loved being a leader at girls camp. I have been a camp leader for over 15 years. This year was different though, I was so busy working the entire time, I didn't really get to bond with the girls or have time to enjoy the experience. It was also different being a leader over girls you don't even know. I have a lot more responsibilities as a wife and mother now that I had to leave at home, which was difficult. Camp fell on a week that the big kids were at our house, so I didn't get to see them pretty much for three weeks. After camp I came home and thought that this year might have been my last year for a little while, which makes me kind of sad because I do love girls camp. It was just kind of hard. The flowers and the camp were beautiful though.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

That is EXACTLY how I felt last year. SO much work, but none of the benefits of bonding with the girls from the ward. I missed it so BADLY this year, though... But I don't know if they'll ever let me come back because I was so vocal about things that I REALLY thought needed to be changed. Oh well!!

Shelly Johnson said...

I'm with you sista! It was a hard year for me too. You did a TON of work and I'm sure made it a wonderful experience for the girls. That's ultimatly what's most important. But it sure is nice when you can enjoy the experience as well. Let's take the year off next year and do another vacation for our families instead!!!